Saturday, 26 March 2011

Ringing Demo

Taking advantage of the extra day holiday afforded by the royal wedding (the bank holiday occurs during our Easter Break), I arranged a ringing demonstration for St Mary's Year 1 and 2 students at Crosby Hall. Getting on site bright and early, the first bird caught was a Chiffchaff - the first of the year!

Chiffchaff (Phylloscopus collybita)

The students arrived on time, although we heard them long before they saw us and to say that they were excited, was an understatement. I gave a talk to the same year groups back in December and it would seem that I made quite an impression. One particularly astute young man asked me early on if I had caught an Firecrest, whilst another little fella handed me a drawing of a bird that he had coloured and cut out, when I asked him what it was, he said 'that's a Red-headed Woodpecker'! Legend!

Scouse Ringer: Down wif da kidz innit!

The demo was a fantastic success, each year group took it in turns to see the ringing with some very lucky students getting to let the odd Great Tit go, whilst Moxey took the other year group to see the nets. Unexpectedly, I found myself being interviewed by one of the parents, who happens to be a journalist, and if I am completely honest, I'm slightly apprehensive of the headline...'Bird Men of Little Crosby' was mooted. I think I would prefer: 'Drop Birds, Not Bombs'. We'll have to wait and see.

Siskin (Carduelis spinus)

Once the students had left, myself and Moxey had the sun to enjoy. A pair of Siskin, some Chaffinches and a couple of Greenfinches being the 'meat' on the bones of a good session. March is coming to an end now...with Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler already here with more to follow...

Male & Female Siskin (Carduelis spinus)

Chiffchaff - 1
L.T.Tit - 1
Goldcrest - (2)
Blue Tit - 3 (14)
Great Tit - (7)
Coal Tit - 1
Chaffinch - 7 (2)
Goldfinch - 4
Greenfinch - 2
Robin - (3)
Dunnock - (2)
Nuthatch - (1)
Blackbird - 1
Happy school kids - 22

TOTAL: 22 (31)

No comments:

Post a Comment